Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fall Trip Day 4

Today I drove up the eastern side of PEI. I listened to the Sunday Morning session from last April during the drive, since conference wasn't on the radio. I first stopped at Greenwhich National Park at St. Peters Bay. It has walking trails and board walks. I picked wild rasberries on the trail. I saw reindeer moss. The trail led through fields, forests, marshes, dunes and the beach.

Next, I drove up route 16 to the East Point lighthouse. On the way I saw cool abandoned houses. I really liked the east side. It was more wooded and less populated than the west end. At the East Point a "wild" red fox begged for food. He would eat out of people's hand.

It started to rain, and never stopped. I got the car stuck at Panmure Island photographing the lighthouse there. A couple from Oregon noticed and towed me out.

I saw the cape bear lighthouse and lastly, the Wood Island lighthouse. It was getting dark, so I worked my way back to Charlottetown. I saw the basilica in downtown Charlottetown. It was quite dramatic.

I grabbed dinner from Tim Hortons, a fast food chain that makes sandwiches, soups and donuts. I ate it in my hotel while watching the afternoon session of conference with the high speed Internet at the hotel. I found out that you need loonies (one dollar coins) to do laundry. I met two ladies from Oregon in the laundry room.
I've managed to stay away from the north central part of the island. Lucy Maud Montgomery's grave is there, and supposedly the green gables farm house that the story is based on, but there are also so many tourist traps and tourists there. Shop Keepers dress up like Anne (men and older ladies alike) and they have plastic indian villages and wax museums.

Today was a good picture day. That is the news from Lake Wobegon.Greenwhich Haunted Woods (Anne of Green Gabels Reference)
Greenwhich Sand dunes
Greenwhich boardwalk
Abandoned Farm House between Greenwhich and North Lake Harbor
Boat houses at North Lake Harbor
Red Cliffs at East Point
The begging red fox at East Point lighthouse

Eastern Coast (I love the mix of ocean, farm and forest)

Panmure Island Lighthouse (Where I got stuck).River at Murray Harbor North

Cape Bear Lighthouse, Kings CountySand Sculpture at Wood Island Lighthouse, Queens County

St. Dunstan's Basilica in Charlottetown

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

What wall are you going to put all these incredible pictures on?

Anonymous said...

I keep picturing Anne of Green Gables