Sunday, October 11, 2009

Letters





When Grandma Martineau died, we inherited a box of letters and cards and everything we had ever sent to her, including a super soaker key chain that I sent her for her birthday. There were tons of letters from Jeffery City and Grants. I copied some highlights into my journal at one point:

April 25, 1979
"Bethany must be related to her grandmother. In primary today I was having some kids introduce themselves. She said, 'I'm Bethany Martineau and I ride cows'."

May 8, 1980
"Tell Martha Mandy calls her "Martha Jane Pumpkin"

Another Mandy/Martha reference:

May 23, 1981
"There are two Marthas - one in the Jesus book and one in Pocatello."

Feb 14, 1981
"Mandy seems to be influenced by TV. She asks if the shampoo will make her hair bounce, if John's diapers are saggy, and if our soap is an eye opener. She sings 'I've got to wash that grey right out of my hair'."

April 9, 1979
Joel had a dream that President Kimball came to see him in Jeffery City. He asked him to do missionary work with him. He said "Lets go talk to your neighbors and share the gospel with them." "I couldn't say anything, so we went to my neighbor next door. We began to teach and when President Kimball saw that I was successful, he smiled and departed from my dream."
Same letter:
"Mandy kisses raw pieces of Sunday Chicken and calls bunnies bummies."

16 June 1981
"Jesus doesn't want people to leave their beer bottles around; they should just drink it."

Separately:
"I don't like them to drink beer. They should just do it in Colorado."

Sept 1981
"When we bare our testimony in church we say 'I know this church is true', but when people in other churches bare their testimony, do they say: 'and I know this church isn't true'?"

3 comments:

Martha J. Berryman said...

Am I still Martha Jane Pumpkin??? I enjoyed this entry so much. Many, many memories. Thanks Mandy! :)

tonksfam said...

Not many things that I read actually make me laugh out loud. This did :)

Carolyn said...

Did I really sew those costumes? Yes, I did.