Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Alaska Part II - Seward

Friday morning Diane and I set out to see if we could find the Anchorage Temple. We bought bus tokens and rode the bus - or as they call it in Anchorage -- "people movers". We experienced the local flaver in the charectors sitting on the bus. One clearly was not sane. The bus driver helped us get out at the point closest to the temple. He gave us some general directions. We ran up a frontage road and couldn't find it. No one we asked knew what we were talking about. We ended up having to call a cab at a Walgreens and getting a $30 ride back to the hotel. We arrived at precisely the time we needed to board the buses in front of the hotel.






Here is a cropped image I took from the far side of the bus as we drove by it on the highway out of town. We needed to walk 3 more blocks south to have reached it.




We drove up the Turnagain Arm. The tide was running out.

We saw a bald eagle on the side of the road.






The area experienced a very large earthquake. The sea water wave brought sea water to shore and killed trees and knocked down houses.






At the rest stop I walked down the trail and looked for fossils in the shale at the road cut.






The boat was docked at Seward, AL. We boarded the boat at about 1pm and walked around. We found a hot dog stand on the 11th deck and ate hot dogs and drank hot chocolate with the Myers and their daughter and son-in-law. We found out that Diane and the Myers served in the same misison -- Palmyra New York. We looked at an impressive coal conveyor that loaded low-grade coal on boats. It gets shipped to China. They had an emergency drill where we all lined up outside. Can you find Elvis in the front row?





We ate dinner in the Cascade dining room. There is a water feature with a grand piano at the grand stair (see above). There were 12 people at our table. I had a tasty sea bass dinner.






After dinner I explored the ship. I shot a few baskets on the court at the top of the ship. The boat pulled out of the harbour at dusk. The boat was very calm. I didn't get sea sick.

No comments: