Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pelican Brief

In an effort to be more prepared for my China photo shoot, I mean trip, I went to Bountiful Lake to practice taking shots with my macro setting on my 70 - 300mm lens. It is a Quantaray Lens that works with a Nikon camera. I took it to Hogle Zoo, and wasn't happy with my pictures. I kind of gave up on it. I decided to give the lens another chance and see how it did in another situation. I would take it to China for the river cruise, to help me get long shots of things on shore.

Bountiful Lake is a ghetto finishing spot west of town. If you can avoid the trash on the shore, power lines, the dump to the north, and the sewage treatment plant sto the south, you can get some decent pictures. I am just hoping that people go there to catch and release.

My big goal was to capture the pelicans flying. They have like a 7' wing span. I was happy with the results. I also tried my RAW format setting. My photoshop wouldn't "develop" the file type NEF, but I found that I could develop them with the lighting and color saturation settings that I wanted in my camera. It would then output the image as a jpg in the images shown below:





1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Very impressive!